The season is upon us!
This year we are changing things up in a big way. If you have never done the Open, prepare for 5 weeks of challenging workouts, community outings, and very exciting Saturday mornings here at the gym!
Here is a short blurb on the details of the Open:
- The Open is the first stage of the CrossFit Games season and the largest community event of the year. Every year, hundreds of thousands of athletes come together to compete in the worldwide, online competition.
- Workouts are released on Thursdays at 5 p.m. PT, and athletes have four days to complete the workout for the week and submit their score. Scores are due before 5 p.m. PT the following Monday. Complete the workouts at a CrossFit affiliate with a judge, or film your effort from anywhere in the world and submit a link as proof.
- The Open offers two versions of each workout, scaled and Rx’d. You may do a mix of each depending on the workout, keep in mind that 1 rep of Rx puts you ahead of all the scaled scores.
How do you sign up?
- Log in (create a profile if you haven’t done the Open before)
- Fill in bio, birthday, age, etc
- Make CrossFit RVA as your affiliate
- Accept all terms and conditions
- Sign Waiver
- Click “Competition Dashboard” after paying
- Select CrossFit RVA as your TEAM
Format changes this year:
- Everyone will be split into two teams
- Gerry, Bakari, CJ, Bryan will serve as Team Captains (two for each team)
- Instructors will be assigned to a team to serve as Team Leadership
- Points based scoring system (explained below)
- Workouts will be done on Saturdays each week (one CF class will still happen)
- Open workouts will not be programmed during Friday Classes
- If you have a specific need to do the workout at a non-designated time, contact Gerry
- A Team Captain must be present and not coaching in order to perform workout
- Online system for signing up for heats
- No one works out until they have judged two heats
- Re-tests and Make-ups will happen Mondays 6:30-8pm on Turf Side
- T-Shirts – Yes!
- Each team will have their own specific color
- Teams will be drafted from a pool of names. Skill will be sorted as needed to keep the teams even.
- Overall Team score is based on:
- Completed Workout on Friday Noon/Saturday Morning/Monday Retest Time and Submit Score +2
- Completed Workout at non designated time or place and Submit Score +1
- Did not submit score or did not do workout +0
- Head to Head Bonus +1
- Duel an athlete from the rival team. Winner of WOD gets a Bonus point for his/her team! Must perform workout together.
- Spirit of the games (individual) +10
- Judged on by unbiased group of coaches. Let’s see how magical you can get
- Top Performance Rx +5
- Top Performance Scaled +5
- Designated Workout Times:
- Fridays Noon – 1pm
- Saturdays 9:00am – Finish
- Mondays 6:30pm-8:00pm
- No CF Classes Feb 24th, March 3rd
- 8am CF Class March 10th, 17th, 24th
- Open Gym 8:30-10:15am Turf Side all 5 weeks